Thursday, March 17, 2011

No more hit and hope, aim and fire, or point and shoot!

Photography "Nuts and Bolts" course - time to leave "auto" behind! My new "grown up" camera arrived only 2 days before we left the US and I've used it lots since we arrived....but only on auto!! I've always enjoyed taking photos but I've always done my creative (??) bits on photoshop, after the fact, if you like!

Having been very efficient and put my camera battery on charge the previous evening - I left it there! Luckily, day 1 was mainly theory in the classroom and Hema, our teacher had a spare battery. That day we learnt all about aperture (f-stop), shutter speed, metering, white balance, silhouettes and composition and more........ I'm feeling it'll take me so long to prepare to take a pic the subject will have long since left the scene by the time I'm ready to click - but time will tell!

As we know, the proof of the pudding......... so the second part of the course was practical. We met at Lalbaugh, the botanical gardens, in Bangalore at 7.00am. Apparently the "magical hours" to take good pics are 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset. So,  early, if not bright, we met up with our assignment sheets and for 2 hours clicked and clicked.

I managed a silhouette, of which I'm very proud!! - so I'm bragging here.

This was my best flower shot (note the burring background)
The gardens are very busy in the early morn with dogs, health addicts, yogi's, contortionists and fervent chanters. In fact all those searching for their early morning equilibrium. I thought this guy and his dog had the same expressions - they say dogs start to look like their owners, or is it the other way round!?!?!?

Part 3 of the course is to upload for Hema to review - decided to blog before that part!



No comments:

Post a Comment